Thursday, January 21, 2010

the Catlins




I had never been to the Catlins before and it sure is a beautiful part of the country, though as you can see, it was pretty wet and windy when we were there. My sister Catherine took the photo of me top right holding on to my hat with one hand and my phone camera with the other. I was standing at Slope Point, the most southern point of mainland New Zealand. If you click on the photo bottom right, you should just be able to make out a little yellow-eyed penguin trying to come ashore to feed its young. The tourist in the red jacket had a camera with a big zoom lens but she still crept up to within feet of it until it headed back out to sea - exactly what the Conservation Department signs warn people not to do, as the chicks go hungry.

No comments: